Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Should I buy a new video card/ram or just a new PC?

Hi, I recently noticed that my computer is hella slow when running multiple applications and lags a bit in some games even in the lowest quality, so I'm just wondering, should I buy a new PC or just buy a new graphic card/ram? Here's my specs:





Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.070227-2254)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: VIA Technologies, Inc.

System Model: PM800-8237

BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG

Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.40GHz

Memory: 448MB RAM

Page File: 346MB used, 710MB available

Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS

DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode



I have to let you all know that I'd rather not use so much money on a new PC, I just want to know your suggestions. And also, would my computer handle RAM/VIDEO CARDS? If I bought a new computer I would have to buy one that is 800 or less.. Thanks!|||Ok so... general consensus says to upgrade your computer. this would work and would be cheap. if you got new ram and vid card you could update your computer for around 100-140 dollars and have a pretty ok computer... but my advice... if you are gaming and plan on gaming for some time... get a new computer. 800 isnt a lot of money to work with if you are going to buy a pre-fabricated computer (Dell, HP, Compaq, etc.) but you could get a nice computer setup off of newegg for 800 easy that would last you many years, i built my computer off of newegg about 3 years ago for like 700 and it is still going strong today and is comparable to like 1000 dollar computers now. if you dont know how to build a computer you may have a friend that knows. and if not then... the motherboard booklet gives you most of the information and the rest you can get online. if you go the building route feel free to email me with any questions you may have in that route. otherwise... your computer is only limiting as far as you can update it and will be maxed very quickly and then you will be looking at a new computer anyways... even though you paid all that money on updates, that ironically you would probably not be able to use in your new computer. |||Each Motherboard has a limit on the RAM: not the number of slots, but the Megabytes it can handle. You should check for the limit, if it is less than 2GB RAM, then I suggest changing the case (without the monitor, keyboard, speakers, and mouse), otherwise, throw out your old ones and upgrade the RAM which should be cheaper.

|||You definitely need more RAM - 448 MB won't make the cut nowadays. I'd recommend getting at least 2GB total (it looks like this is the maximum your motherboard can take anyway).



You didn't provide any information about the video card you have installed, but chances are that could use an upgrade too. If you are doing moderate gaming, get a card with at least 512MB video memory.|||I would suggest getting a graphics card as it appears your using the onboard graphics at the moment as its taking 64MB of your memory for the share graphics upgrade to a graphics card and buy an additional 512mb ram module this should speed you up a little.|||You have a DirectX 9 version, which is good. Your RAM is ok. You may need to change your processor, or upgrade to Pentium 5. If the graphic in your games is choppy or blurry, then I suggest a new graphic card. Hope this helps|||You need more RAM if you were to install a good graphics card for intense gaming. If you want to buy a new PC, buy from Dell. Hope this helped.

No comments:

Post a Comment